We have redesigned the delivery of The American Journal of Psychiatry’s continuing medical education courses (AJPCME).
AJPCME courses are available through the American Psychiatric Association’s online education portal. Access to courses requires a psychiatry.org account and an active AJPCME subscription.
With your personal account at education.psychiatry.org you will have
- Integrated course transcripts for all APA CME activities.
- Personalized CME recommendations based on your interests.
With an active AJPCME subscription you will have access to a total of 108 activities:
- All article courses developed during the current year
- All courses from the previous year.
- All courses for the following year.
Already a subscriber? Access the article’s CME course from the “Journal CME” box on the right and login using your psychiatry.org username and password. First-time users will also need the access code provided by email shortly after the time of purchase/renewal.
Don't have a subscription to AJPCME? Subscribe Now!
Trouble with access?
1. Davenport TE, Watts HG, Kulig K, Resnik C. Current status and correlates of physicians' referral diagnosis for physical therapy. J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2005;35:572–9. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2005.2050. [PubMed]
2. Ehrmann-Feldman D, Rossignol M, Abenhaim L, Gobeille D. Physician referral to physical therapy in a cohort of workers compensated for low back pain. Phys Ther. 1996;76:150–7.[PubMed]
3. Wong WP, Galley P, Sheehan M. Changes in medical referrals to an outpatient physical therapy department. Aust J Physiother. 1994;40:9–14.[PubMed]
4. Donato EB, DuVall RE, Godges JJ, Zimmerman GJ, Greathouse DG. Practice analysis: defining the clinical practice of primary contact physical therapy. J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2004;34:284–304. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2004.1298. [PubMed]
5. Murphy BP, Greathouse D, Matsui I. Primary care physical therapy practice models. J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2005;35:699–707. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2005.2167. [PubMed]
6. World Health Organization. International Classification of Function, Disability and Health (ICF) [cited 2010 Jan 11]. Available from: http://www.who.int/classifications/icf/en/
7. Haggman S, Maher CG, Rafshauge KM. Screening for symptoms of depression by physical therapists managing low back pain. Phys Ther. 2004;84:1157–66.[PubMed]
8. Friedrich M, Hahne J, Wapner F. A controlled examination of medical and psychosocial factors associated with low back pain in combination with widespread musculoskeletal pain. Phys Ther. 2009;89:786–803.[PubMed]
9. Linton SJ. A review of psychological risk factors in back and neck pain. Spine. 2000;25:1148–56.[PubMed]
10. Burton AK, Tillotson KM, Main CJ, Hollis S. Psychosocial predictors of outcome in acute and subchronic low back trouble. Spine. 1995;20:722–8. doi: 10.1097/00007632-199503150-00014. [PubMed]
11. Few CD, Davenport TE, Watts HG. A hypothesis-oriented algorithm for symptom-based diagnosis by physical therapists: description and case series. Orthop Pract. 2007;19:72–9.
12. Farrar JT, Young JP, La Moreaux L, Werth JL, Poole M. Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale. Pain. 2001;94:149–58. doi: 10.1016/S0304-3959(01)00349-9. [PubMed]
13. Cole B, Finch E, Gowland C, Mayo N. Physical rehabilitation outcome measures. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1995.
14. Magee DJ. Orthopedic physical assessment. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1997.
15. Fedorak C, Ashworth N, Marshall J, Paull H. Reliability of the visual assessment of cervical and lumbar lordosis: how good are we? Spine. 2003;28:1857–9. doi: 10.1097/01.BRS.0000083281.48923.BD. [PubMed]
16. Lewis J, Green A, Reichard Z, Wright C. Scapular position: the validity of skin surface palpation. Man Ther. 2002;7:26–30. doi: 10.1054/math.2001.0405. [PubMed]
17. Hislop HJ, Montgomery J. Muscle testing. 6th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1995.
18. Cuthbert SC, Goodheart GJ. On the reliability and validity of manual muscle testing: a literature review. [cited 2010 Jul 8];Chiropr Osteopat. 2007 Mar;15(4):23. doi: 10.1186/1746-1340-15-4. [PMC free article][PubMed]
19. Hoppenfeld S. Physical examination of the spine and extremities. New York: Prentice-Hall; 1976.
20. Cools AM, Cambier D, Witvrouw EE. Screening the athlete's shoulder for impingement symptoms: a clinical reasoning algorithm for early detection of shoulder pathology. Brit J Sport Med. 2008;42:628–35. doi: 10.1136/bjsm.2008.048074. [PubMed]
21. Hegedus EJ, Goode A, Campbell S, Morin A, Tamaddoni M, Moorman CT, et al. Physical examination tests of the shoulder: a systematic review with meta-analysis of individual tests. Brit J Sport Med. 2008;42:80–92. doi: 10.1136/bjsm.2007.038406. [PubMed]
22. First MB. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental health text revisions. 4th ed. Washington: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. [DSM-IV-TR]
23. Inskip HM, Harris EC, Barraclough B. Lifetime risk of suicide for affective disorder, alcoholism and schizophrenia. Brit J Psychiatr. 1998;172:35–7. doi: 10.1192/bjp.172.1.35. [PubMed]
24. Stephens JH, Richard P, McHugh PR. Suicide in patients hospitalized for schizophrenia: 1913–1940. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1999;187:10–4.[PubMed]
25. Varma VK, Wig NN, Phookun HR, Misra AK, Khare CB, Tripathi BM, et al. First-onset schizophrenia in the community: relationship of urbanization with onset, early manifestations and typology. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2007;96:431–8. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0447.1997.tb09944.x. [PubMed]
26. Nasrallah HA, Tolbert HA. Neurobiology and neuroplasticity in schizophrenia: continuity across the life cycle. Arch Gen Psychiatr. 1997;54:913–4.[PubMed]
27. Fuchs J, Steinert T. Patients with a first episode of schizophrenia spectrum psychosis and their pathways to psychiatric hospital care in South Germany. Soc Psych Psych Epid. 2004;39:375–80. doi: 10.1007/s00127-004-0767-z. [PubMed]
28. Verdoux H, Cougnard A, Grolleau S, Besson R, Delcroix F. A survey of general practitioners' knowledge of symptoms and epidemiology of schizophrenia. Eur Psychiatr. 2005;21:238–44. doi: 10.1016/j.eurpsy.2005.05.013. [PubMed]
29. Twang MT, Kendler KK, Gruenberg AM. DSM-III schizophrenia: is there evidence for familial transmission? Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1985;71(Suppl 1):77–83. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0447.1985.tb08524.x. [PubMed]
30. Husted JA, Greenwood CM, Bassett AM. Heritability of schizophrenia and major affective disorders as a function of age, in the presence of strong cohort effect. Eur Arch Psychiatr Neurol Sci. 2006;256:222–9. doi: 10.1007/s00406-005-0629-z. [PMC free article][PubMed]
31. Verdoux H, Geddes JR, Takei N, Lawrie SM, Bovet P, Eagles JM, et al. Obstetric complications and age at onset in schizophrenia: an international collaborative meta-analysis of individual patient data. Am J Psychiatr. 1997;154:1220–7.[PubMed]
32. AbdelMalik P, Husted J, Chow EW, Bassett AS. Childhood head injury and expression of schizophrenia in multiply affected families. Arch Gen Psychiatr. 2003;60:231–6. doi: 10.1001/archpsyc.60.3.231. [PMC free article][PubMed]
33. Chabungbam G, Avasthi A, Sharan P. Sociodemographic and clinical factors associated with relapse in schizophrenia. Psychiatr Clin Neurosci. 2006;61:587–93.[PubMed]
34. Phillips LJ, Mcgorry PD, Garner B, Thompson KN, Pantelis C, Wood SJ, et al. Stress, the hippocampus and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis: implications for the development of psychotic disorders. Aust NZ J Psychiatr. 2006;40:725–41. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1614.2006.01877.x. [PubMed]
35. Lawrie SM, Abukmeil SS. Brain abnormalities in schizophrenia: a systematic and quantitative review of volumetric magnetic resonance imaging studies. Brit J Psychiatr. 1998;72:110–20. doi: 10.1192/bjp.172.2.110. [PubMed]
36. James AC, James S, Smith DM, Javaloyes A. Cerebellar, prefrontal cortex, and thalamic volumes over two time points in adolescent-onset schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatr. 2004;161:1023–9. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.161.6.1023. [PubMed]
37. Ferrari MC, Kimura L, Nita LM, Elkis H. Structural brain abnormalities in early-onset schizophrenia. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2006;64:741–6. doi: 10.1590/S0004-282X2006000500008. [PubMed]
38. Weyerer S. Detection of psychiatric diseases in general practice: results from Germany. Gesundheitswesen. 1996;58(Suppl 1):68–71.[PubMed]
39. Troyer MR. Differential diagnosis of endometriosis in a young adult woman with nonspecific low back pain. Phys Ther. 2007;87:801–10. doi: 10.2522/ptj.20060141. [PubMed]
40. Alnwick GM. Misdiagnosis of serotonin syndrome as fibromyalgia and the role of physical therapy. Phys Ther. 2008;88:757–65.[PubMed]
41. Ross MD, Cheeks JM. Undetected hangman's fracture in a patient referred for physical therapy for the treatment of neck pain following trauma. Phys Ther. 2008;88:98–104. doi: 10.2522/ptj.20070033. [PubMed]
42. Farrell JL, Goebert DA. Collaboration between psychiatrists and clergy in recognizing and treating serious mental illness. Psychiatr Serv. 2008;59:437–40. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.59.4.437. [PubMed]
43. Gater R, Jordanova V, Maric N, Alikaj V, Bajs M, Cavic T. Pathways to psychiatric care in Eastern Europe. Brit J Psychiatr. 2005;186:529–35. doi: 10.1192/bjp.186.6.529. [PubMed]
44. Cougnard A, Kalmi E, Desage A, Misdrahi D, Abalan F, Brun-Rousseau H, et al. Pathways to care of first-admitted subjects with psychosis in south-western France. Psychol Med. 2004;34:267–76. doi: 10.1017/S003329170300120X. [PubMed]
45. Addington J, Van Mastrigt S, Hutchinson J, Addington D. Pathways to care: help seeking behaviour in first episode psychosis. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2002;106:358–64. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0447.2002.02004.x. [PubMed]
46. Guccione AA. Physical therapy diagnosis and the relationship between impairments and function. Phys Ther. 1991;71:499–503.[PubMed]
47. Verdoux H, Cougnard A, Grolleau S, Besson R, Delcroix F. How do general practitioners manage subjects with early schizophrenia and collaborate with mental health professionals? Soc Psych Psych Epid. 2005;40:892–8. doi: 10.1007/s00127-005-0975-1. [PubMed]
48. Hodges B, Inch C, Silver I. Improving the psychiatric knowledge, skills, and attitudes of primary care physicians, 1950–2000: a review. Am J Psychiatr. 2001;158:1579–86. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.158.10.1579. [PubMed]