"City Beautiful" Chandigarh invites all its residents to participate in the essay competition for "Smart Chandigarh" initiative. This essay will focus on the issues faced by the residents of the city, and the likely smart solutions which can address these issues. The administration will take help from the selected entries to develop a vision statement for the city and will also define city sub goals based on it. The participants should focus on the practical, bankable & implementable ideas/solutions related to Smart City which should match the context of the city.
• The topic of the essay is "Mere sapno ka Chandigarh" (Hindi), Chandigarh of my dreams (English) , Mere Supnayan da Chandigarh" (Punjabi)
• Maximum word limit - 1000 words
• All the essays must be submitted in .pdf (PDF) format
• Residents can submit their essay in - English, Hindi or Punjabi.
• All the residents can participate in this open essay competition on https://mygov.in, except students of government and private schools for which a separate competition will be held through Education Department.
• The essay should have at least following templates -
(a) What is your Vision for Chandigarh as a Smart City ? - e.g. vision of Copenhagen, Denmark is to become "Carbon Neutral by 2025". (maximum 15 words)
(b) What are the main area specific problems and what smart solutions you want to recommend ? (150 words)
(c) What are the main Pan City problems and what pan city based smart solution do you recommend ? (200 words)
(d) Any global/best practices which can be implemented/replicated in Chandigarh ? (200 words)
(e) How will you contribute to your city as a Smart Citizen ? (100 words)
The top 3 essays will be awarded -
1st Prize - Rs 25,000 (Twenty Five Thousand Rupees only)
2nd Prize - Rs 15,000 (Fifteen Thousand Rupees only)
3rd Prize - Rs 10,000 (Ten Thousand Rupees only)
• 50 best entries will be given consolation prize of Rs 500 (Rupees Five Hundred only)
The competition shall be closed on 15th October, 2015.
How to Submit
• All the entries must be submitted online through https://mygov.in. No other medium of submission should be accepted.
Terms and Conditions
• All the participants must clearly mention following details in their essay -
2. Father/Mother name
5. Contact number
• The winner will be chosen on the basis of brevity, originality of the content and ideas and implementable & bankable action points . The decision of Chandigarh Administration on selection of first 3 winners and consolation prize shall be treated as final. No plagiarism will be allowed.
• No government official working under Chandigarh Administration can participate in this essay.
• It will be assumed that whoever is participating in the essay has fully understood the general information and terms-conditions given hereby.
• Chandigarh administration reserves the right to cancel or amend all or any part of the competition and/or the terms/condition without notice.
Road Safety Week, Motor Vehicle Bill Aim to Curb Road Deaths : As per Government data, there are 400 deaths due to road accidents in India every day. The situation is indeed alarming as according to figures released by the Government for the year 2015, there were 1,46,133 deaths due to road accidents in India in 2015, with May and March of the year seeing 14,000 fatalities. Figures for 2016 are still awaited. In fact, more lives are lost in India due to road accidents than natural…
Bilateral Relations Top Agenda of Israeli’s President India Visit : Reuven Rivlin, the President of Israel, is presently on a six-day visit to India. He had a meeting with Narendra Modi on November 15, 2016 as part of the visit. He is the first head of the state from Israel to visit India in 19 years – a fact that shows how the relationship between both the countries is growing. Ezer Weizman was the last President from Israel to have visited India in January of…
3 Indian Sites Win Coveted World Heritage Honour : The World Heritage Committee (WHC) of UNESCO has included 3 sites from India in the list of World Heritage Sites of the world. This is a major honour for India. One of these sites is the Khangchendzonga National Park – KNP – of Sikkim. The two other sites are in Chandigarh and Bihar. The announcements were made during WHC’s 40th session, which was organized recently at Istanbul, Turkey, reeling presently from the effects of the…
32nd Anniversary of Operation Bluestar : 6 June 2016 marked the 32nd anniversary of Operation Bluestar, a black day marking one of the darkest moments in the history of post-independence India. It was on this hot summer day when the Indian Army launched an attack on the Golden Temple in Amritsar to flush out armed militants who had taken over the temple and amassed arms and ammunition for what they believed was a fight for an independent Khalistan. In the action that…
Cleanest and Dirtiest Railway Stations in India : Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat In his Rail Budget speech, Union Minister Suresh Prabhu had emphasised the need to make Indian Railways, the mainstay of travel within the country, one of the cleanest modes of transport. The sheer numbers using trains and railway stations in the country makes this a daunting task. The minister had promised that this financial year the government would take steps to clean up nearly 8000 stations in the country. “The idea…